Find Relief from Dry, Irritated Eyes
Dry eyes are an often chronic condition that can cause discomfort, irritation, and even pain. Although they’re a distracting and common problem among Canadians, they can lead to further complications if not treated.
At Vancouver Block Optometrists, we provide comprehensive dry eye evaluations and customized treatment plans designed to get to the root of the problem. Call us today to book an appointment. We’ll be happy to help!
What Is Dry Eye Syndrome?
Dry eye syndrome is a condition that affects your tears. You may not think much about them, but your tears are essential for keeping your eyes hydrated, comfortable, and healthy. They even help your eyes focus light, which is essential for eyesight.
When you don’t produce enough tears or the tears you produce are of poor quality, you can develop symptoms like:
- Scratchy, gritty, or burning eyes
- Fluctuating vision
- Feeling like something is in the eye
- Excessive tearing (the eyes’ natural reaction to dryness)
What Causes Dry Eye Syndrome?
Ultimately, dry eye syndrome occurs when there’s an imbalance of the tear film. But that imbalance can happen for many reasons.
Dry eyes can be caused by everyday situations, like windy or dry days, being around cigarette smoke, sitting near a fan, using a computer, or just from being tired. They’re also common as we grow older since the eyes tend to produce fewer tears with age.
Some medications have ocular side effects that can lead to dry eyes, and wearing contact lenses longer than recommended can also cause irritation. And sometimes, dry eyes are a side effect of common laser eye surgeries, like LASIK.
Dry Eye Treatments
Treatment depends on the cause of your dry eyes, so it’s essential to see an eye care professional for proper diagnosis. At Vancouver Block Optometrists, we focus on you as an individual and develop a customized treatment plan designed to address the root cause of your dry eyes.
Our treatment options include:
- Xiidra, a prescription eye drop that treats inflammation
- Restasis, a prescription eye drop that stimulates tear production
- Microblepharoexfoliation, an in-office treatment that gently removes biological debris from the eyelids and lashes
- Zocular products, dry eye products designed to gently clear the oil, debris, and residue from the lid margins
- Preservative-free artificial tears, eye drops designed to provide lubrication without the side effects of preservatives
- Meibomian gland expression, an in-office treatment that gently squeezes the meibomian glands to encourage oil secretion
- Omega 3 supplements, fatty acids that can reduce eye inflammation and encourage oil production in the tears
Eye-Light by INNOVA
At Vancouver Block Optometrists, we’re constantly investing in progressive treatments. Recently, we’ve added Eye-Light by INNOVA to expand our dry eye treatment options and better serve our patients.
What is Eye-Light & How Does It Work?
Eye-Light is a dry eye treatment that combines two advanced technologies: intensive pulse light (IPL) and low level light therapy (LLLT). Together, these therapies simultaneously treat the lower and upper eyelids to help stabilize the tears, treating dry eyes at the root cause.
Benefits of Eye-Light
The Eye-Light dry eye treatment has many benefits, including:
- Treats both the upper & lower eyelids for more efficient treatment
- Significant decrease in dry eye symptoms following treatment
- Non-invasive, stress free & safe
- Multiple treatment possibilities in each session
Is Eye-Light Right For Me?
The Eye-Light treatment may not be right for you if you:
The best way to know if this treatment is right for you is by booking an appointment with your optometrist. No one knows your eyes like your optometrist, and they can help you understand the treatment and whether or not it’s suited to your needs.
- #800-736 Granville Street
- Vancouver, BC V6Z 1G3